January 11, 2019
Warm this January with the Best Hot Drinks
There is nothing more reassuring than a healthy hot drink when colder air from the north is hitting the UK. And we are expecting further cold and snow in January while February will most likely be the same. Are you ready for our top 5 kitty-licious comforting hot drinks? Kitty Bingo has wrapped up the best hot drinks that will also boost your immunity, help with your digestion, and most of all, keep you toasty.
Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate
Prepare your own salted caramel hot chocolate at home! Salted caramel is the root for this viscous homemade hot chocolate. It's amazingly rich and indulgent!
Prep Time – 20 Mins
- Big pinch salt
- 2 oz dark chocolate finely chopped
- 8 oz milk chocolate finely chopped
- 4 1/2 cups milk room temperature
- 1/4 tsp lemon juice fresh
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- Whipped cream and caramel sauce to garnish
Steps: Mix together the lemon juice and sugar in a small bowl. Preheat a medium saucepan add the sweet-scented sugar stirring continuously. Cook until it turns into a medium amber colour caramel.
Stream in the milk and continue to stir. When the milk is piping hot, the caramel will infuse and give out a soft liquid. Once the milk is at a simmer, remove the saucepan from the heat. Add the chopped chocolates and whisk until the mixture is smooth. Season with a pinch of salt if desired and taste the milk. Serve Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate with caramel sauce and whipped cream.
The best Chai latte is the one you make at home. Especially, after trying this recipe! Use store cupboard spices like cardamom and cinnamon to recreate this Indian-inspired tea!
Prep Time – Around 10 Mins
- 1/2 cup sweetener, such as maple syrup, honey or brown sugar (optional)
- 6 green cardamom pods, cracked
- 3 cups cold whole milk, coconut milk, or other non-dairy milk
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken into pieces
- 1 (2-inch) piece fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons loose-leaf black tea, or 6 black tea bags
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 4 cups water
- 10 whole cloves
Steps: Place the cardamom, cloves, peppercorns and cinnamon in a small saucepan over medium heat until fragrant. Add water and ginger and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and add the tea bags or loose-leaf tea. Allow the tea to steep until it’s flavourful. Add the sweetener while the tea is still warm and stir until combined. Strain the tea into a teapot.
For whole milk latte, froth the milk by whisking it vigorously over medium-high heat or by shaking it in a jar. For non-dairy milk latte, use a blender to froth before boiling. Heat the frothed milk over low heat until warm. Pour 3/4 teacup of the warm tea base into cups. Insert at least 1/2 cup of warmed milk and combine. Top with a heaping portion of milk froth.
A steaming hot matcha latte is a soothing drink that is very easy to make. Follow this delicious recipe and make matcha latte at home!
Prep Time – Around 5-6 Mins
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon matcha powder or 1 1/2 matcha bamboo scoops + more for dusting
- 1 1/4 cup milk (any kind you prefer)
- optional: honey or sugar
Steps: Whisk together water and sifted matcha powder in a bowl until all clumps are gone before heating. Froth the milk and add the matcha tea. Sweeten it with sugar or honey and use a mesh strainer to add a dusting of matcha powder on top.
Gingerbread Latte is the ideal cosy homemade drink once January hits. What’s interesting? You can skip the trip to Starbucks with this copycat version. Ha-Ha! The mixture of warm spices like molasses, nutmeg and ginger just screams the holidays!
Prep Time – 5 Mins
- 1/2 cup freshly brewed espresso preferred or very strong coffee
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cups milk of your choice divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar or to taste
- whipped cream
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 Tablespoon molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- shaved white chocolate or chips (optional for garnish)
Steps: Heat 1/4 cup of milk, molasses, cloves brown sugar, nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon in a small saucepan over medium heat, until sugars and spices dissolve when stirred. Remove from heat and blend in the hot espresso. Pour into two small mugs or into a large mug. Steam remaining milk and add to the espresso mixture. Garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon, whipped cream and some shaved white chocolate (Optional).
White Chocolate Mocha
Craving a creamy White Chocolate Mocha? Does the thought of a white chocolate hot cocoa make you weak in the knees? Well, you are not alone.
Prep Time – 7 Mins
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup strong coffee
- 2 tablespoons (1oz) white chocolate chopped
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream (Optional)
- 3/4 cup milk (Any percentage)
- Whipped Cream (Optional)
Steps: Heat milk and cream (Optional) in a small saucepan until steaming. Remove from heat and blend in chopped chocolate until smooth and melted. Whisk until foamy. Pour coffee into a large mug and pour milk mixture over until desired. Top with whipped cream (Optional) and have fun!
Are you ready to skip the line at your favourite coffee shops and make these hot drinks at home?